Monday, May 23, 2011

The Current Stock In My Lake Malawi 55 Gallon Tank

I purchased this tank about 3 months ago, with the intention of stocking it with Lake Malawi Cichlids. I initially had a few of these Cichlids in a 29 gallon, while they grew and while I had a chance to upgrade to the 55 gallon. I have purchased most of these Africans very small, 2 inches or smaller. So my current stock is a as follows:

2 Electric Blue Johannis
5 Yellow Labs
1 Red Zebra
2 Blue Zebras
1 Auratus
3 OB Marble Peacocks
1 White Albino Zebra
1 Acie (blue and yellow)
1 Mixed breed (white w/ yellow stripes)
1 Lamp Brichardi (Lake Tanganyika)
3 Yoyo Loaches
1 Chocolate Albino Pleco

Does it seem a little over stocked? Yes, but the aggression is very much under control with no deaths in 3 months, the water is in very good condition, and hardly any nipped fins. I watch the fish closely, to see what kind of stress may be going in a tank with this many fish, and it seems that there are too many for anyone one dominant fish to terrorize. The only concern I have is that I do have 2 male Electric Blue Johannis, and the bigger fish seems to push him around quit a bit. I'm think about trading the smaller one in for another Cichlid species, but because I haven't found a particular fish that I like enough to replace him, and the fact there has been no major wounds to the smaller Johanni, I'm being very patient before I pull the trigger on this trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment